- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
- 4 oz chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup unsweetened natural applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrots
- Preheat the oven on 350.
- Prepare a muffin pan with liners.
- Mix sugar with egg, oil and applesauce.
- Sift dry ingredients and spices together.
- Beat dry ingredients slowly into the wet mixture.
- Fold in carrots and pecans.
- Scoop batter with an ice cream scoop into each cupcake liner.
- Fill almost to the top.
- Bake about 25 or 26 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Cupcakes are done when the tines of a fork come out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool about five minutes before taking them out of the pan.
- Cool them completely on a wire rack.
- Frost with a generous amount of frosting and top with toasted pecans.
- 2 oz chopped raw pecans
- 3 oz soft unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 6 oz Neufchatel (or use reduced fat Cream Cheese)
- 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Toast two ounces of chopped pecans on the stove for around six minutes.
- Cream Neufchatel with ginger, lemon juice, butter, and confectioner’s sugar.
Recipe source: The Chew