- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate cocoa
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling strong black coffee
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
- Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
- Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla.
- With electric mixer beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin).
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes
- Remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
- Frost using the frosting directions below.
- Melt butter. Set aside while you mix dry ingredients.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together cocoa and powdered sugar then mix in vanilla, heavy cream and butter.
- Beat with electric mixer until you get a creamy spreading consistency.
- Add a tablespoon or two of heavy cream if frosting is too dry, or a little extra sugar if too wet.
Makes about 2 cups frosting.
Recipe source: https://www.cookingwithsugar.com/.